[rescue] KVM and Sunfire 280r

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 26 14:53:07 CDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 11:46:13AM -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:
> > What...?  You say this is an Oracle server. This machine has
> > no business having a monitor and keyboard attached to it.
> >
>    To be fair, the Oracle installer won't run without a local graphical
> console. That's why I have headed database servers, too.

Then how do people install it on headless servers?

I do hate the graphic install, but I've installed oracle in shops where
there was nothing but glass ttys.

I hope no one every does something as stupid as requiring graphics.

Of course, I have yet to get Solaris 9 installed on my Sun SS5. The
second stage install tries to use some Java stuff and fails.

I booted from the install 1 CD instead of the boot CD, but it still
balked after the first installation stage.

I wish Sun would move to a simpler install.

Why is it that commercial UNIX can't get an installer that is as good as
those in Linux and BSD systems?