[rescue] KVM and Sunfire 280r

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Sat Apr 26 21:48:24 CDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 09:09:23PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > I though that all you needed to toss a head onto a Challenge XL was
> > their GUI-Extreme board for Challenges,
>
> Yep.  How many of those do you see floating around?  SGI didn't make or
> sell very many of them.  If you needed that amount of CPU horsepower and
> graphics throughput, you bought an Onyx.

Yeah, I never really knew who would buy that board since the Onyx could
hold nearly as many CPUs as a Challenge XL.

However, Sun has no Onyx equivolent to the E10k.  Only the V880, I
believe.

> All to solve a nonproblem in the first place.  If you need a head on
> your server, you don't need a server!

Well, true, except the company in question might not make workstations
that powerfull.

I'm not saying that the general user should need a video board for the
E10k.  Or that the average user should want one.  I'm just saying, the
option could have been nice.  Every other major computer I can think of
offers it, from Cray YMPs, to Challenges (in the form of the Extreme
board or Onyx equivelent), to even IBM mainframes.  Why not Sun?  Do
they even offer any connectivity faster than gig-e?  I haven't heard of
HIPPI cards or Myrinet cards for the big suns.