[rescue] KVM and Sunfire 280r

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 26 21:09:23 CDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> But, what if you want to use the machine for a large maspar workstation
> for some project that requires more video bandwidth than HIPPI allows.

That sounds like an application for a visualization workstation.  Sun and
SGI both make them.  These are distinct from servers.

Besides, that's not the problem at hand.  The problem at hand is for
doing -very- little graphics (so little as to be comfortable over X over
a reasonably fast LAN) on a very big server.

> I though that all you needed to toss a head onto a Challenge XL was
> their GUI-Extreme board for Challenges,

Yep.  How many of those do you see floating around?  SGI didn't make or
sell very many of them.  If you needed that amount of CPU horsepower and
graphics throughput, you bought an Onyx.

> and didn't require a backplane and power supply change like the RE
> and IR options did.  I've seen the board, but I can't seem to google
> much on it at this moment.  I seem to recall that it was a set of
> extreme cards in a GIO->ebus adapter.

All to solve a nonproblem in the first place.  If you need a head on
your server, you don't need a server!

--
Jonathan Patschke *) "who has been feeding my cats crack again??  they
Thorndale, TX     (*  were doing chuck norris shit all over the apartment