[rescue] OpenBSD on Intel (actually)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Apr 26 18:43:56 CDT 2003

Linc Fessenden writes ...
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Robert Rose wrote:
>
> > Hmm, maybe it's time to try the deliberate error trick, works on IBM
> > 300GL/PL boxen at work.  Heres what you do:
> >
> > 1. Power off peecee, open it up and remove something like the
> >    floppy cable or a simm.
> > 2. Power it up, wait for it to bitch about the problem.
> > 3. See if it throws you into the BIOS configuration to fix the error.
> > 4. Make the changes you actually needed to make, plus you'll
> >    probably need to amend the configuration to tell it there is no
> >    floppy/less ram.
> > 5. Power off, replace the floppy cable or simm.
> > 6. Power it up, re-fix the error in the BIOS again.
> > 7. Power off, replace cover and you're good.

A time-honored method.

> Try my standard PC-bios trick..  Flip the floppy cable over and plug it
> back in on only 1 end.  Usually errors out the bios.

Most of the stuff in this Dell chassis is amazingly hard to get to.  I can't
imagine that having all those proprietary parts and concommitant difficult
assembly increases their profit margin.  Anyway, I tried removing the HD
cable, but it just hung when powered on.  I'll try a SIMM. I think I can get
one out without taking out the riser board chassis subassembly.  Maybe I can
get it back in, too....

<later> Well, now I know why no keystroke will do it.  When you pull a SIMM,
it says "Memory size mismatch ... Run SETUP program" and keeps going.  From
this I infer that you have to run the SETUP program to configure the BIOS.
So, I'll go find that; I'm sure it's hidden on the Dell website somewhere.

-Shel