[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale at buy.com)

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Apr 25 11:40:09 CDT 2003

I have an HP 5.25" full height 1G SCSI drive around that is really amusing...

when you power it up and it goes through it's startup sequence, just before
it is ready for access it makes a bing sound...  I've never understood
exactly how it does this... as it sounds like one of those tiny speakers,
but it appears to be coming from the mechanicals of the drive.... everyone
I know that ever heard it would say like "what the heck was that" ?

Also had a Maxtor MFM drive of about 150 meg (5.25" full height)... when
the heads were over certain tracks the drive would "sing".... I finally
wrote a program (this was on a DOS box) that would track the heads to a
quiet area of the drive should the heads land in the singing area and
stay there to the point of annoyance....

-- Curt