[rescue] Need help with SGI serial

Joshua Newton limelight at speakeasy.net
Fri Apr 25 07:17:52 CDT 2003

Found a place with super-cheap Mac modem cables, and gave it a whirl.
Seems to work perfectly. Thanks!

Problem: When the Indy starts from cold power-down, I get the following
two diag messages on serial (exact spacing not preserved):

"Data path test:	*FAILED*"
"	RTC path test:	*FAILED*"

I ran the full diagnostics from PROM. Everything checks out perfectly,
or so claims the Indy. It boots fine (someone left IRIX 6.5.something on
it), it keeps time (so, what's wrong with the RTC, exactly?), and
everything in NVRAM seems cool.

(Apparently, this used to be igor.nist.gov. The DNS entry is still
valid! Check it out.)

Now, I spent a while rebooting it yesterday as I relearned IRIX -- the
joys of fx (give me cfdisk! fdisk! even dd! well, maybe not dd) and
chkconfig and so on -- and I never got the diag messages again. Even
cold-booted it a few more times, and still no diags. This morning, I'm
getting the diags from cold boot again. Can anyone confirm for me just
what these messages mean?

I'm guessing the RTC message means it's time to replace the Dallas clock
chip. Unfortunately, Dallas no longer seems to offer RAMified
Timekeepers with 8k and response time of 150ns. The closest they have is
8k and 120ns. Any guesses as to what might or might not happen if I swap
it for a 120ns chip? Or, just for kicks, a 32k/120ns chip?

If I do have to replace the chip, what are the procedures for restoring
eaddr and any other critical variables? I'm seeing conflicting info
about being able to reprogram from the PROM monitor, or having to do it
on the command line.

And, finally, does the "data path" message mean that something else is
flaking out?

Thanks for all the help!