[rescue] SCSI drive for sale at buy.com

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 24 22:33:39 CDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 03:33:04AM -0400, Kevin wrote:

> WD used to be the best in IDE drives, at least up until
> around 97/98, then Maxtor started killing their market.
> Now i question WD heavily.  As stated in the past, i

I started seeing WD take a quality dive around 1996.  Quantum too.
Friend of mine's father worked for Quantum, and saw it from the inside.
Not sure about now.

Maxtor sucks, IMHO.  A CompUSA manager told me one time that more Maxtor
drives came back than all other merchandise combined.

That was 2-3 years ago, but I'd still be very wary.

I know a lot of Windows user that just replace them as they fail. I
guess when you reboot because a font looks bad, throwing out cheap
drives seems normal.

> don't have any IDE stuff at home but when i do have to buy them for
> work i usually go IBM (which is now Hitachi) or Fujitsu.  Same goes
> for SCSI, Hitachi and Fujitsu.  Although i have had good luck with
> Seagate Cheetahs, i have had too many Barracudas die on me.

I had no problems with the Barracudas so far, but haven't used a lot of
them.

I normally use IBM Ultrastars, with good results.

The newest drives I got were three 18GB Fujis.

> I think every drive manufacturer has put out bad
> batches now and again.

Yes, but some brands are consistently bad, and some consistently good.

The big RAID systems from Compaq, Storagtek, and EMC that I have seen
were always IBM, Fuji, or Seagate.

Ironically, an IBM RAID cabinet was full of Fujis.