[rescue] KVM and Sunfire 280r

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu Apr 24 10:54:34 CDT 2003

	All,

	We are trying to order a sunfire 280r to run oracle for the
organization. The sticking point for my boss is buying the monitor and
keyboard that they say we need to order. Petty I know, but he has tasked me
with figuring out how to connect this server to our existing KVM switch (PS2
or Serial, VGA). Looking at the specs I see that the sunfire uses a USB
keyboard and mouse, I cannot find anything on what video connector it uses
(13w3 or VGA or something else.)
	So here are the questions.
	1. What video connector does it have?
	2. Is their anything weird about that USB mouse and keyboard, or
could it technically be any mouse or keyboard as long as it is USB.
	3. I know that they, at one time, made converter boxes for this
application for the older sparcs with the 13w3 video and  type 4/5 keyboards
and mice. Do they make anything like that for this application?
	4. IF a light bulb burns out at Microsoft, how many Microsoft
engineers does it take to put in a new one?

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org
http://www.whro.org