[rescue] plastics reaction

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Apr 24 00:28:02 CDT 2003

This isn't exactly rescue per se.... however....

I just moved a printer in storage from one location to another location.
There was a printer cable wrapped around the paper feed "tray" (this is
a HP Inkjet printer).

Where the cable was wrapped around, the oils/chemicals in the plastics
of the printer cable insulation reacted with the printer plastics, and
softened/melted them (thankfully not badly) in the contact area between
the two different plastics !

Anyone ever seen this happen before ?   This is a first for me
(needless to say the printer cable is no longer stored with the printer!).

Glad this didn't happen to the case of a nice older "rescue" computer !

-- Curt