[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Apr 23 23:36:27 CDT 2003

>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:25:08 -0400
>Subject: Re: [rescue] OT:  Linux and USB on Intel
>From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>

>>>   Removing support for VMEbus isn't the same as removing support for
>>> the 4/600.  They work just fine with no VMEbus access whatsoever.
>>
>> If you mean in that they operate without access to the VMEbus, yes
>> I understand that too.  After all, I am using a 4/600 mainboard in a
>> 4/110 chassis running Solaris 8.... don't need VME access.  However
>> is there a Solaris release that officially supports 4/600 without
>> VME access ?  I don't think so... I think Sun removed "support" for
>> the 4/600 when they removed support for VME.
>
>   Ahh, that may be.  But removing VME support isn't the same as
>removing support for a
>certain system type, which is what you said above.

Maybe not, but I believe (by memory) that it was done at the same time...
so while techincally not correct, I lumped it togehter without explanation...

>   They do make damn fine systems when shoved into a '110 chassis, don't
>they?  I'd never run Solaris on it in a million years though. (because
>that's about how long it'd take to boot)

Well, not sure why your experience is that way... I am running one with
128Meg RAM, single SM51 or 61 (can't recall which now), fast wide scsi
controller with 100baseTX under Solaris 8 usning DiskSuite for drive
mirroring (booting and serving data off of mirrored 21Gig Seagate Elites
with wide scsi interfaces... not exactly fast drives).  I don't feel
it take long to boot.  It doesn't run a graphical console (well, it has
one, it just isn't hooked up and in use).... I see no problem running
Solaris on it.

I have another one I'm going to put together sometime that will have
quad hypersparc 125 CPUs and a full contingent of 16MB 30 pin SIMMS
in it.... that should be pretty nice :-)

>   Believe it or not, one of those machines (in a '110 chassis) was my
>main desktop machine for a long time, running SparcLinux on a pair of
>SM61s with two CG6 framebuffers.  That machine was *fast*.

I did play with RedHat Linux briefly on a 4/610 with dual SM51s...
not bad....

I still want to get my hands on a X/150 chassis though...  I've gotten
close a few times on the list here.... but never close enough where
someone either would ship it or get around to doing so.... so I'm still
looking for one....