[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 23 17:59:18 CDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 01:35:02AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> My SS20 with dual SM81s and a 10k drive does warm up a
> bit (perhaps that's what leads to the PSU failures on these
> units.)  And i don't think that little fan next to the drive
> is helping that much.

I once attached an external "box" made out of carboard, onto which I
screwed two case fans.  It kept the case cool, bus was impractical.  It
pulled air out through the vents on the left side of the SS5, near the
SCA bus.

I just need to refine the idea I suppose.

Alternately, find a fan that will suck air out of there and exit
from the inside.

Just not sure how to do it.

I plan to keep both my SS5's in service.

One of the memory modules in the main server died 2 months ago, and I've
wondered if it was heat releated.

> That being said, 10k drives were almost nonexistent when my box was
> made(1995.)  It was probably fine with the original 5400 rpm drives.

Did you just get that drive because it was cheap?

The SS10/20/5 systems can't even use all of a fast 5400 rpm drive most
of the time.

I got 3 18GB 7200rpm drives, brand new, for $30 each the other day.  I
couldn't find any slow and cool running ones.