[rescue] OpenBSD on Intel

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Apr 22 20:52:59 CDT 2003

R. Lonstein writes ...
> Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:44 PM
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 07:54:27PM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> 	[snip]
> > Obviously, I'm missing something.  How do I tell it I've
> changed the network
> 	[snip]
>
> You're missing the description. What release of OBSD, what
> motherboard, network card, video card, IRQs in use, the message
> content, etc. etc. All the things that make diagnosis possible.

OK, here goes ...

> What release of OBSD,

3.2, installed by floppy/FTP from openbsd.org yesterday.

> what motherboard,

Dell Optiplex DGX 5100.

> network card,

OpenBSD was installed with a LinkSys EtherPCI LAN Card II in place, and it
worked fine for the installation.  When that no longer worked, however, I
tried another card of the same type, an ISA NE-2000 clone, an ISA 3Com
3c509TP, an Intel LAN Adapter (E139761), and a couple of others.  It got
further into the booting process with the Linksys than with any of the
others, but it hung no matter which one I tried.

> video card,

It's on the motherboard.

> IRQs in use,

Well, they didn't change between the time I installed Open BSD and the time
the thing quit booting.  In fact, there were no hardware changes at all
during that time.  The "standard PC set" plus a sound card on 5, a SCSI
adapter on 11, and the LinkSys network card on 15.  When I tried the other
network cards, I assumed they are plug-and-play (no jumpers) or I set the
jumpers to something non-conflicting.

Keep in mind it hangs without an NIC, now, too, and that the same setup used
for installation later failed without my changing anything.

> the message content,

It varied, depending on what was installed.  In the case of the Linksys
card, the last two lines on the screen started with "ne03" and just seemed
to be diagnostic reports, not error messages of any sort.  In other cases, I
got "Where did the card go?" or a panic and something about sending the
results of dmesg and "DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO REPORT THIS UNLESS YOU SEND THAT
IN."

Since it's on the PC screen, I didn't have a way to capture any of 'em.

I have some diagnostic abilities, but I don't know what the OpenBSD folks
use for terminology in some cases, and the boot process isn't well
documented as far as I can tell.  If I knew how to tell it to forget about
the Linksys card and use the <foo> that's in there now, it would help....

Thanks.

-Shel