[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Mon Apr 21 14:55:32 CDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:21:22 -0500, "Jonathan C. Patschke"
<jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> I perfectly understand that, when you need a machine running, you need a
> machine running, regardless of what you need to do to it.  I was more
> reflecting on the "Wow, people have to do this these systems/components
> just to make them behave like the manufacturers claim, and they STILL
> buy more?  I wish I had customers like that." aspect of it.

Later Voodoo cards came with more and bigger heatsinks and fans built right
in, so I'd say the company learned something eventually. I'm not sure I'd
use one single component as a typical example of PC engineering, in any
case. Can't really define a curve with one point. You also can't take a
gamer's priorities as typical. Gamers are an insane lot, and I'm one of the
saner ones. :)

Another factor in this is that I didn't realize until AFTER I'd bought the
second card that the thing was inherently running hot. At that point I
needed a solution. The fan still works, one motherboard upgrade later,
though now I have to mount it upside-down for the wire to reach. No matter,
works just as well. :)

---
Beware of geeks bearing .GIFs.