[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Mon Apr 21 14:52:01 CDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I disagree with those examples! For one, if you compile using GCC, chances
> > are that you are linking to some of the GNU libs, therefore you are
> > acutally including GNU code (via static or dynamic linkage) on your
> > product. Therefore the distiction lines are quite blurred....
>

> Not to a logical human.

Define logical :)....

> If I write code, it's my code, regardless of what tools I used.
>
> If I use a Craftsman hammer to build a house, its likely I used
> Craftsman nails, saws, and screwdrivers too.  The house is still my own
> creation!

Not really, you actually payed for the components to make the house, so
yes the house is your creation. When using GCC, you are using free
software with its own unique licensing. That is where things get blurry,
your example would be a correct one if you were using donated/free tools
and materials from Home Depot or somesuch. What if home depot were to put
some kind of licensing in those "free" materiasl? :)

Ether vs. physical world is always a tricky proposition :).

Cheers!