[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Mon Apr 21 14:43:16 CDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 02:24:30PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Only because the publisher hasn't ported it.  There are no forces at
> work other than market forces that prevent people from playing current
> games on Real Hardware.  In fact, isn't that where the very first
> computer/video games (ADVENT and the like) were played?

True, except the market of people with adequately capable real hardware
is pretty small.  For instance, out of all the SGIs out there, how many
have 16+ megs of TRAM?  I suppose that you might be able to stream the
textures fast enough to use that much texture capacity in one frame, but
I'm not sure, and it definately would be hard on most developers to pull
it off.

Suns are only moderately more hopefull as far as games go than SGIs are,
in my opinion.

Of course, that's why God gave us the dream cast with keyboard and
mouse.  But alas, people squandered that oportunity.  Perhaps we will
have a reasonable chance at some point with the PS2, but it doesn't seem
to be going that way.