[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 21 11:04:09 CDT 2003

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 10:57 AM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> No, the whole thing is available.  The advanced server stuff is only
> available as sources, but it is available.  Basically they are saying
> that if you want AS but don't want to pay for the service contract, the
> you have to build it from source on your own.
>
> It seems they are afraid that if they make finished product available
> for free, no one will buy their support and service.

   Hmmmmmmm.  Kinda makes one think, eh? ;)

   Are vendors who sell high-ticket "service", especially in
billed-by-the-hour arrangements, really motivated to make sure their
systems don't fail in the first place?  In some cases, over the life of
a product, support contracts wind up costing more than the product
itself...which opens the door for the vendor making the product a
loss-leader to facilitate the sale of expensive support contracts.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols