[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 21 09:57:09 CDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 01:03:29AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 01:59:10AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   I'd like to remind everyone that this is FREE SOFTWARE that we're
> > talking about here.
>
> RedHat 9 is free.  RedHat Advanced Server is *not* free - yes, it has the
> same basic core as the free stuff, but has tons of "point and drool" admin
> tools for those who dont care to know how things actually work. 8-)
>
> The "Advanced Workstation", etc, arent free either.  Only the basic RH9
> release is freely downloadable.

No, the whole thing is available.  The advanced server stuff is only
available as sources, but it is available.  Basically they are saying
that if you want AS but don't want to pay for the service contract, the
you have to build it from source on your own.

It seems they are afraid that if they make finished product available
for free, no one will buy their support and service.