[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Apr 21 08:08:22 CDT 2003

Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> We did it like this for Sun stuff at Broadwing - because we couldnt
> just take a system down whenever an engineer would show up.  If I had
> spare parts to fix a system with, I'd do it, then give them the bad
> part(s) in exchange for the good ones, and put the good ones back in
> the spare pool.
>
> If I didnt have spare parts, I'd just get the good parts from the
> engineer, then swap them out during scheduled maintenance (unless the
> system was *already* down, of course).

Hmm, I suppose that makes sense.  But the only part we ever replaced
were failed hard drives.  I'd think that the system would be down at
that point - unless it had RAID, then it should be as simple as popping
in the new drive and letting the controller rebuild.  Either way, it
doesn't matter much I guess.  That employer (some 6 years ago or
something) lost the Compaq contract to a competitor.  Luckily I was a
cert carrying MCSE at the time (the only one with Unix and Novell
knowledge) so the loss of the Compaq contract meant nothing to me (I was
part of the consulting group) as I was on-site at customer premises for
about 35 of my 40 hours per week.

--
Kurt                 "Who am I kidding?  Cake is just a delivery
kurt at k-huhn.com        mechanism for icing."