[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Apr 21 00:47:56 CDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 08:59:51PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> A company I worked for had the Compaq service contract for most of the
> SF Bay area - @Home was one of the places we serviced.  I always
> wondered why we had to bring hard drives to the front desk and wait for
> an engineer to come down to swap out the bad drive.  The technicians
> never were allowed to go past the front desk - even though I think the
> warranty called for it (they would fudge the reports back to Compaq).

We did it like this for Sun stuff at Broadwing - because we couldnt just
take a system down whenever an engineer would show up.  If I had spare
parts to fix a system with, I'd do it, then give them the bad part(s) in
exchange for the good ones, and put the good ones back in the spare pool.

If I didnt have spare parts, I'd just get the good parts from the engineer,
then swap them out during scheduled maintenance (unless the system was
*already* down, of course).

Bill

--
bill bradford