[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Apr 20 14:45:49 CDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 03:29:23PM -0400, Linc Fessenden wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, David Passmore wrote:
>
> > Linux has taught the computer industry that hardware failures are normal,
> > that cheap power supplies "just fry", that hardware is cheap, obselete
> > quickly, and that it's "ok" to need to replace machines constantly.
>
> What??  This is that same hardware that windows runs on right?  And it's
> Linux that thought them that?  Take a look around man - There are Linux
> servers that are running on cheap commodity 486 hardware and early
> pentiums that have been running reliably without so much as a reboot for
> years...  How does that show people that hardware failures are normal and
> it's ok to replace machines constantly.   Hell, I use Linux on older
> machines to make them *keep* working and be useful.

I think David is accidentally using a filter that does "s/Windows/Linux/"
for the sake of attention. I'm not sure though. He describes Windows quite
accurately, in terms of obsoleting hardware and replacing machines, but
he does accidentally call Windows "Linux". And I don't think most
operating systems actually have library calls to fry the power supply.
That sort of functionality went out after IMPS, didn't it?

Linux has taught the computer industry that you can use computer hardware
that isn't bleeding edge, and make it do amazing things. I handled just
short of a million hits on my webserver one month on a 486/100 with 16MB
RAM. My main server at home is running on hardware that was slipping out
of cutting edge about 6 years ago(?) and has not required replacing yet.
I do intend to replace it, since it's getting hard to update a Redhat 5.2
system anymore (and I've been messy with disk layout over the last 5 years),
but that's not particularly conducive to blame for the OS.

Linux has also taught much of the industry something David should learn.
Don't fear the penguin. Doo be doo be doo....

--Rob