[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Sun Apr 20 14:29:23 CDT 2003

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, David Passmore wrote:

> Linux has taught the computer industry that hardware failures are normal,
> that cheap power supplies "just fry", that hardware is cheap, obselete
> quickly, and that it's "ok" to need to replace machines constantly.

What??  This is that same hardware that windows runs on right?  And it's
Linux that thought them that?  Take a look around man - There are Linux
servers that are running on cheap commodity 486 hardware and early
pentiums that have been running reliably without so much as a reboot for
years...  How does that show people that hardware failures are normal and
it's ok to replace machines constantly.   Hell, I use Linux on older
machines to make them *keep* working and be useful.

> It's also bringing up a generation of computer users who think that getting
> software is a free ride, that there should be no intellectual property, and
> that OS concepts that were old twenty years ago are okay in a modern OS.
>
> David

Got news for you there too - Your opinions are getting in the way of
established facts.  The software you are referring to is not Linux at all
but GNU software, which was a hot item *way* before the first Linux kernel
came out.  Linux, while it uses some GNU software, also uses and supports
some non-free software as well, in fact, quite a bit of it.  And as for
the OS concepts from 20 years ago being OK today, Linux isn't the perveyor
of that, but look instead at Sun, and IBM, and HP/DecpaQ..

I am not picking a fight here, but dang man...

--
-Linc Fessenden