[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sun Apr 20 11:50:33 CDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 06:29:44PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> On Sunday 20 April 2003 14:04, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >    From an electrolytic capacitor that exploded when it overheated,
> > caused by the failure of a cheap-ass fan in a cheap-ass power supply in
> > a cheap-ass PC running Linux.  The Linux part is the only good thing
> > about that box.
>
> Power supplies are generally a disaster. Let's saz that 10 or 20% of all sold
> psu's are of decent quality. Read a comparing test of psu's some day - you'll
> find that most so-called 300 watt psu's' voltage drop significantly before
> reaching the 300 Watt. A good deal of them just explode WAY below the
> advertised maximum power, or give at least an instable supply (hard disks
> find that very funny).

I have found that putting systems that are running 24x7 on UPS's
prolongs the life of the power supply in addition to protecting
against power outages.  Also, if you ever have a PC that seems to run
"unstable", try putting a UPS on it - often the problem will then
go away.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |