[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sun Apr 20 12:01:49 CDT 2003

At 08:04 AM 4/20/2003 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   From an electrolytic capacitor that exploded when it overheated,
>caused by the failure of a cheap-ass fan in a cheap-ass power supply in

I lost a ps at work due to fan failure--ran weeks before something started
to go--the smell tipped me off, and I _think_ I saved the rest of the
hardware in the box.  (I started underclocking the CPU some time later to
increase reliablility.)

\begin{thinking out loud}

Some kind of fan rotation sensor (or airspeed sensor), a small micro, and a
big relay...gotta be cheap enough to target the people who won't or can't
spend the bucks for a good supply...maybe add a serial port to give the OS
30 seconds or so advance warning of a shutdown...everything mounted
externally, so no mods to existing power supply fan...reflective IR sensor
for fan blades?  hot-wire anenometer?  (sensitive) pressure sensor
monitoring airflow?

\end{thinking out loud}

newell