[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Sun Apr 20 08:44:56 CDT 2003

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    I like Linux.  I like to keep a Linux box around to keep abreast of
> the latest developments in that world.  But sometimes I wonder why I
> even bother.
>
>          -Dave

Well, I have been known to run a Linux box or 12, and I can tell you I
have been frustrated with the 1386 platform hardware as well.  Mostly it's
the result of cheap commodity hardware, specifically fans and
powersupplies.  Both of these items can be upgraded significantly.  For
instance on my main workstation, I got a "kit" deal and the powersupply
300w and case came together for something like $22.  The first thing I did
was go out and get a "real" powersupply - 250w which cost me $70.  Now the
box I threw the original PS in at work has died (PS burnt out) and my
workststion is still going strong. (1)(2)
  The other thing I want to mention quickly here is that Linux does work
suprisingly well on some other platforms - most noteably Sparc, and
Mac.  Mac and Linux happens to be my favorite of the moment because, as
far as I can tell, not only can you get an up to date system, but you just
can't kill them - really stable.  Now sparc is extremely stable as well,
but I haven't ever tried getting a recent system on it.

(1) Cheap PC PS's can always be identified by the stamped out fan guard
(stamped out of the original housing)
(2) Cheap processor fans cause many of the same problems and can be solved
by getting a more expensive ball-bearing fan, and checking them regularly.

--
-Linc Fessenden