[rescue] Drive Sled (was Irix cd problem)

wlewis at mailbag.com wlewis at mailbag.com
Fri Apr 18 12:51:20 CDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 wlewis at mailbag.com wrote:
Jonathan Patschke said:
>> Sigh. It seems my set of 6.5.3 is missing a disk called installation tools...
>
>Take a look at the overlay 1 CD.  It should say whether or not it
>contains the installation tools.  Usually you can just boot off that.

That worked except that it didn't see the hard disk. Ok, open the case, pull
out the sled and see a disk that is crushed. Yes, crushed. Well, actuall more
like someone took a ball-peen hammer to it. So I take it off, put on a seagate
2 gb I've got pop it in. Machine won't start. Take out sled. Machine starts.
Reinstall sled. No start. Look carefully at sled and notice that the connecter
from the sled to the system is hosed by whatever did in the disk...

So, how much do Indigo 2 sleds go for? Or can the cable and connector be bought
separately?

William