[rescue] sparcbook trouuuuuuble

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Apr 16 13:58:16 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 18:49, David Holland wrote:
> I'd have to venture a guess that only part of his OBP is toast.
>
> Particularly, byte 0

Hehe... Maybe, I just reset it to 1. But the first number of the host id was
also corrupt. I reset it to 80, the output of "real-machine-type .", and now
it works again.

Let's take a backup quick!

> Hit the squirrel.com NVRAM faq site, reset byte 0 to 0x01, and recalculate
> the checksum.  (You may need to use Google's cache to see it, squirrel.com
> seems to be down at the time of this writing.)

Ah-ha. From now on, I'll have to keep a paper in my wallet with all weird
commands like "1 80 mkp" etcetera, aking the geek experience of this laptop
even greater :-)

> I'd suspect your nvram's battery is going south though..

I suspect it's going to the west, over the Nile etc.

--
Frank Van Damme    | "Saying 8MB of RAM doesn't do as much anymore is
http://www.        | like saying a gallon of water holds more than it