[rescue] machine able to hold 4GB RAM or more?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Apr 12 15:59:36 CDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 03:44:16PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>
> > So, which systems can hold >4GB RAM?  The database is between 2 and
> > 4GB in size.
>
> Well, the E450 and U80 top out at 4GB.  An E3500 can hold 4GB per system
> board.  I think that's the smallest system you4d be able to use.  The
> same is probably true of the E3000, but the E3500 has yummy
> firbe-channel goodness.

Yeah, the E4x00 might be better spacewise, and in a business setting
they're extremely affordable. A few months ago I bought two 4x400/4MB
with 4GB each for around $15k each, and I'm sure they've gone down from
there. More compact, more boardspace (up to 7 cpu boards), and no wheels. :)

> Unfortunately, to get that much memory, you're going to need to buy a
> lot of CPU capability, as well.  That is, unless you want to run
> Solaris/x86, in which case some of the larger Dells would work for you.

Will the x[05]00 systems run with memory-only boards? I know the
SS1000 does. I don't dispute that he has to buy a lot of capacity,
but he might be able to make do with a light cpu base (2 sapphires?)
and fill up on memory if the system doesn't require a CPU on each
board.

http://sunsolve.sun.com/data/805/805-2632/pdf/805-2632-11.pdf

says to fill cpu0 on each board before filling cpu1, so you could
at least run half-loaded. Don't see anything readily that says whether
a board can be used with memory only.

There are some nice Tyan/SGI boards that take up to 8gb of registered
ecc sdram. I have one here, but haven't tried it out. Should see whether
it will work with pc100 or if it requires pc133. There's a Thunder
board that takes pga370, and another that takes slot1 (mine's the latter).

--Rob