[rescue] Macs & IDE vs. SCSI

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Apr 12 15:40:44 CDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 03:17:40PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> > I gotta admit, though, it'd be sweet to get rid of all these damned
> > ribbon cables and have little tiny 8mm ISDN-ish disk cables instead.
> > Imagine how much less cluttered PC cases would be if instead of being
> > full of airflow-blocking 50- and 68-pin ribbon cable, you just had an
> > input and an output port on each disk and little jumper cables that you
> > plugged from drive to drive, with an active terminator plugged directly
> > into the last disk's output port.
>
> Oh, but you get rounded cables with fun colors and even
> glow-in-the-dark colors!  :-)

Actually, are those rounded cables available for SCSI-III, and if so,
can you recommend a source?  Last time I replaced internal cables, all I
could find was the kind that come laminated in the sort of cellophane-y
stuff ...  you know, the ones that unravel into a rats nest in about the
first month.  I can't find any place local that even understands what
SCSI-III *is*.  The closest Greenville has to a computer store is Best
Buy.