[rescue] Macs & IDE vs. SCSI

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Apr 12 15:15:08 CDT 2003

On Saturday, April 12, 2003, at 03:39 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo
+1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> I may have time to do a longer reply later, but for now, I will just
> say that the only point I was trying to make is the oft-repeated myth
> that IDE = huge CPU utilization is just that, a myth.

   For actual data transfers, you are absolutely correct.  But the bus
transactions required to set up those transactions are still highly
CPU-centric.  Admittedly this is nowhere near as bad as it could be,
and I don't mean to suggest that it's a major issue.

> Everything else you bring up I agree with.
>
> On a related note, did you ever finish that FCAL t-card design you
> were working on?  I would love to get sharp on FCAL.

   Nope, but I'll be working on it again in another week or so.  I had
been hoping for a bit of a reprieve from the QYX project a month or so
ago, but it's finally coming next week...it's finally going into
classrooms.  I'll have a bit of a break before the bug reports and
feedback start rolling in.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire             "My belly these days is too substantial
St. Petersburg, FL           for most hosiery."       -Robert Novak