[rescue] X11 0n mainframes...

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Sat Apr 12 06:25:44 CDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I used to work for a company that was busy converting a massive PL/I
> program that used IMS as it's database to Sun boxes running Oracle & C++
> based code. I was having a conversation with the project manager, and
> asked him why they were converting the code. His answer stunned me: "The
> users wanted a GUI interface." He turned bone-white when I told him that
> an IBM mainframe could drive an X11 terminal.
>
> It never occured to him to ask that question (mainframes can't do
> graphics!)...
>
> But, since we were 3 years into a 5 year conversion, it wasn't worth
> discussing it any further... ;^)

LOL

I've put framebuffers on mainframes before.  There are even framebuffers
designed to go on mainframes.  8-)  You know that there is a version of
Dassault Systemes CATIA CAD software that runs on S/390?  It has some
amazingly powerful group management features in it too.

I have no idea where people get the idea that mainframes can't do
graphics.  I've seen mainframes with all sorts of peripherals on them.
Graphics, ADAT audio, stereolithography, etc.  Chances are that if you
want to do something with mainframe, there's a peripheral to do it.  For
many years it was easier to buy a peripheral for your existing large
system than to buy purpose-built small systems.

Peace...  Sridhar