[rescue] X11 0n mainframes...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 22:04:48 CDT 2003

I used to work for a company that was busy converting a massive PL/I
program that used IMS as it's database to Sun boxes running Oracle &
C++ based code. I was having a conversation with the project manager,
and asked him why they were converting the code. His answer stunned me:
"The users wanted a GUI interface." He turned bone-white when I told
him that an IBM mainframe could drive an X11 terminal.

It never occured to him to ask that question (mainframes can't do
graphics!)...

But, since we were 3 years into a 5 year conversion, it wasn't worth
discussing it any further... ;^)

=====
Lionel

http://tax.yahoo.com