[rescue] is anyone running Linux on a rescued UltraSparc?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 21:51:52 CDT 2003

--- Chris Hedemark <chris at yonderway.com> wrote:
> On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 10:28 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> > When Mr. Bill posted the link, I downloaded the 5 (GAG!) discs and
> > installed it on a 256 Meg U1-170 or 200 (I can't remember now)...
>
> You probably realized later that you didn't need all five.  Just like
> with Solaris, who ever boots off the actual install disc? :)  In this
> case, you really do boot off what intuitive thinking would lead you
> to  boot from.  But 4 & 5 are just source code.

There was no indication on the download page that only the first three
were needed to install binary-only...

> You didn't really answer the version question.  I'll have to ass-ume
> it was sometime before 1.0.

Sorry, Mr. Bill posted the 1.0 announcement - I am near-certain (do I
ass-u-me?) that it was 1.0...

See: http://www.sunhelp.org/mt/archives/001054.html

> > I seem to recall the most interesting problem was that the 'date'
> > command was an x86 executable... ;^)
>
> Must have been a very early release then.  Give 1.0 a try.

I think it *was* 1.0 (see above)

> Or at least hold off on negative comments about Aurora until you've
> tried their first stable release (everything before 1.0 should not
> be considered stable and should not be used as a basis for
> evaluating the distro).

I believe I prefaced by comments accordingly, so my statement should be
viewed as an "initial impression", nothing more.

Please, it isn't that big a deal (I'm quite sure no one will choose to
adopt or dump an OS based on *MY* say-so)...

=====
Lionel

http://tax.yahoo.com