[rescue] is anyone running Linux on a rescued UltraSparc?

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Apr 11 21:32:45 CDT 2003

On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 10:28 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> When Mr. Bill posted the link, I downloaded the 5 (GAG!) discs and
> installed it on a 256 Meg U1-170 or 200 (I can't remember now)...

You probably realized later that you didn't need all five.  Just like
with Solaris, who ever boots off the actual install disc? :)  In this
case, you really do boot off what intuitive thinking would lead you to
boot from.  But 4 & 5 are just source code.

You didn't really answer the version question.  I'll have to ass-ume it
was sometime before 1.0.

> I seem to recall the most interesting problem was that the 'date'
> command was an x86 executable... ;^)

Must have been a very early release then.  Give 1.0 a try.  Or at least
hold off on negative comments about Aurora until you've tried their
first stable release (everything before 1.0 should not be considered
stable and should not be used as a basis for evaluating the distro).