[rescue] Why is everyone so OSX happy?

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Apr 11 19:16:02 CDT 2003

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 09:43:24 +1000, "Robert Rose" <rr at rits.com.au> said:

> FWIW, I found the dialogue very useful.  I'm contemplating replacing my
> current POS Toshiba laptop (30CDT with stroboscopic backlight) with an i
> or TiBook, and have been looking for some informed comment from the masses.

Toshiba.  I'm very sorry for you.  (Never saw more DOA POS's when I
work at $network_giant.)

> I'm particularly interested in finding out if the TiBook would do as good
> or better job of editing video as an R5k O2, and then I need to decide if
> I really need that ability in a laptop.  I've read the reviews, but I
> actually prefer the honest opinions of a bunch of geeks :)

If you really want to do video, go for the G4, not the iBook.  But be
careful about which Ti you get.  And, get Applecare--it's worth it's
weight.

> Also, I should also declare my support for Dave in his quest for SCSI
> purity.  The only IDE drives I own are in laptops, and it will stay that
> way until the day I die.  I even managed to "find" a SCSI card and 18Gb
> unipack for my sunblade 100 at work, the standard IDE drive was donated
> to some peecee person.

I agree whole-heartedly, for certain applications.  But at home, I have
side w/Bill--I need the space more than I need the speed.  (That said, I
still have FW on everything, including the Linux box--it's the best
sneaker-
net I've found.)

=Nadine=
--