[rescue] dumb questions I have many.....SGI indigo2

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Thu Apr 10 03:47:17 CDT 2003

Hello Andrew,

Thursday, April 10, 2003, 9:29:32 AM, you wrote:

> but I go to install and I can't get around the lack of a "label" and/or
> swapfile area to get the install started, (a place to put the temporary files
> during the install) is there anyway to label an SGI disk from a sun,
> linux(intel),intel,or Mac

  assuming your CDROM drive is external and has SCSI-ID #1 try the
  following from the command monitor to load fx from your installation
  media (labelled "Installation Tools" in case of IRIX 6.5):

  boot -f dksc(1,1,8)sashARCS
               ^ ^
               | |
               | +--- SCSI ID

               +--- SCSI Bus

  Then at the Prompt:

  dksc(1,1,7)stand/fx.ARCS -x

  (In case of an R10000 Indigo 2 replace sashARCS for sash.64 and
  fx.ARCS for fx.64)

  Inside fx use the label menu to create all labels, repartitioning as
  a rootdrive might also be a good idea. Exit and retry installing.
  mkfs is invoked automatically during the installation process.

--
Best regards,
 Gerhard                            mailto:mail at g-lenerz.de

Old SGI Stuff                       http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/