[rescue] dumb questions I have many.....SGI indigo2

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Apr 10 03:21:28 CDT 2003

On 2003.04.10 09:29 Andrew Giedraitis wrote:

> I recently acquired some diskless SGI indigo2's
[...]
> but I go to install and I can't get around the lack of a "label"
> and/or swapfile area to get the install started,
Look around at http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/sgi.html
There is a lot of very helpfull information about SGIs and IRIX.
Especially a IRIX 6.5 installation guide.

> (a place to put the temporary files during the install)
You mean the miniroot. ;-)

> is there anyway to label an SGI disk from a sun,
> linux(intel),intel,or Mac
I think no.
You have to boot the stand alone version of fx (the disklabel /
partition editor) from the installation tools CD and prepare the disk
prior to installation. There is a short description of this process in
the IRIX 6.5 installation guide...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen