[rescue] anyone else here on AT&T Broadband (now Comcast) ?

Nathaniel Grady nate at grady.is-a-geek.com
Tue Apr 1 14:43:34 CST 2003

> On Tue Apr 1, 2003  12:25:04 AM US/Central, "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr."
> <rescue at hawkmountain.net> Said:
> -- trim -- Mailserver on dynamic IP blocked by lotsa folks

I have Earthlink DSL and they actually firewall off outgoing SMTP in
the name of cutting spam. I was shocked and pissed when I first
discovered this, but once I realized that smtp.earthlink.net would send
basically anything you wanted from an earthlink IP address, I decided
it was a good policy to cut spam. I route all email from my mail server
through their email server for outgoing, and incoming is fine. Haven't
ran into a problem with someone blocking my email yet. I have a feeling
earthlink probably monitors the email volume you send and cuts you off
if they think you're spamming, although I haven't looked into it. They
also allow large attachments (at least a few megs).

To configure qmail:
1) edit qmail/control/smtproutes to read ":mail.your.isp.net"
2) done.

FWIW, I believe you cal also do specific domain routing by something
like aol.com:mail.isp.net, although I never have tried it. *scratches
head* It would probably make sense to put your own domains in the
smtproutes file as "mydomain.com:localhost"... Maybe I'll go do that
tonight...

--Nate Grady