[rescue] 711 vs. 214 Sun Arrays

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Apr 2 10:20:48 CST 2003

While I can not comment on the 214 RSM... I can say that the Multipack
enclosures are terrific.  You won't really hear the fans... but you will
hear the drives (but that is a constant with any drive enclosure (relatively)).

I have a 12 slot enclosure loaded with 12x9G 7200RPM drives that has been
running on my Solaris for X86 server at home since Oct 19, 2000.  I've never
had a drive problem with it.

I did have a system problem with it after about a year and a half which was
caused by the fact that the front mounted cooling fan in the ATX case was
blowing in the wrong direction... fighting the power supply fan.... once
some dust started to build up, the fact that reduced airflow was already
occuring due to the battling fans caused the temperature to risde and the
system became unstable....  Cleaned out the dust, fixed the fan direction
and it's been running fine since. :-)  I hate to admit it, but I think I
originally isntalled that fan ! (DOH !)

-- Curt