[rescue] Sparc Station 1+

Jochen Kunz jkunz at maja.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Sep 30 06:47:37 CDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 12:44:32PM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> > Does this mean I can't boot from CD-ROM ? I'm trying Debian Linux
> > (first). Am downloading NetBSD now, but no point in burning a CD
> > if I can't boot from it.
A SS1+ should be able to boot from the right CDROM. See:
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html#sparcimage
Also, cdrecord has some build in options for creating sun bootable
CDs. There are pre build ISO images, see:
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Changes/#iso1.6

And: Don't put that PeeCee penguin OS on this nice machine. See
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc/faq.html#sparclinux-sun4c

> > 1993 Sea1Target 6
> >   Unit 0   Removable Read Only device     .TOSHIBA CD-ROM
> > XM-3501TA269409/26/94
I don't know for sure about the 3501, but the 3401 has two pairs
of pads labeld "0" and "1" at the rear of the drive. There is a
litle trace between each pad of a pair. If you open this two
traces the drive switches to 512 byte blocks. If only one trace
is opened the drive uses the "SGI" or "Sun" mode. (Forgot which
pad pair chooses what firmware.)

> 	1: try "boot cdrom"
What was the standard SCSI ID for CDROMs on Sun? 4? Or is 4 tape?
So this will only work when the CROM has the "right" id.

> 	2: get a 512 byte block CD-ROM.
Yes. I think a Sun machine that old can not boot from 2048 byte
block CDROMs.
--

tsch,
         Jochen