[rescue] Anyone here familiar with 10Base36 ?!?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Sep 21 13:00:23 CDT 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> Anyone know about this, or ever worked with it?  I suppose 10BaseFL is
> also an option but am not sure how well shielded fiber is against
> moisture, etc.

10baseFL is what you want.  You don't have to worry about moisture
unless the fibre is kinked/cracked, and then you won't be getting
signal, anyway. :)

An added benefit to 10baseFL is that the data is moved via light rather
than electricity, so you have electrical isolation.  You'll truly see
the benefits of electrical isolation in the cases of a lightning strike or
a difference in ground potential between the sites.

--
Jonathan Patschke
   > Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
   Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
                                 --Saul Tannenbaum (in the Monastery)