[rescue] Sun / Linux LX50

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Fri Sep 20 14:22:37 CDT 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>On Friday, September 20, 2002, at 02:55 PM, vraptor at employees.org wrote:
>> I think Apple is nibbling around the edges of the next step (sorry
>> for the pun), but I don't think they quite have it--they have
>> the consumer's perception of their product (either 'it's a toy'
>> or 'it's for graphics professionals') to overcome.
>
>   I'm not sure this is as widespread anymore as you might think.
>There's a lot of historical perception to overcome, but it seems to be
>happening fast.

I think the "switch" ads have helped a lot.  It's hard for me
to tell how widespread it is, though--we get "over-exposed" in
Silicon Valley, so we aren't really a good gauge. :-)

The oddest computer-related conversation I had recently was with
someone who thought the TiBook looked really cool ('it's silver,
and the screen is so nice'), but wanted to know if it ran Windows.
I tried to get him to tell me what he wanted to run on the computer,
but just couldn't get across to him that Mac OS X would do everything
he wanted and more easily.  He had just sold a very nice IBM laptop
and bought a Dell to replace it because the Dell "looked cooler"
(it had brushed silver accents, the IBM was all black). He paid
about $800 more for the cool factor, a DVD ROM, and a P4 (battery
eater) vs. the IBM's Mobile Celeron (same clock speed).

I realized after this conversation that there were some marketing
aspects of technology that I was definitely missing. :-)

>   I'm sure some of it has to do with Ellen Feiss.

Who's that?

=Nadine=