[rescue] More Terminal & SGI Fun

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Sep 16 14:42:57 CDT 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Mike Meredith wrote:

> Sure a VT420 works reliably at 38.4kbaud ... I used one for years
> connected to a terminal server like that. Can't help with the wiring
> problem, but I'd stick to using ttyd[12] for a terminal.

I rewired the cable today to see if I'd made a dyslexic mistake, and it
checks out just fine.  I eevn took it completely apart and redid it from
scratch.  It appears that ttym[12] on an IP24 does not behave as the man
page would lead me to believe.

> Is XON flow control not working at all ? Check the stty settings ... my
> SGI turns it off by default. You can turn it on with 'stty ixon'.

That works, sort-of.  It works -great- in some apps like PINE.  But
XEmacs, vim, and lynx stomp all over it.  It's almost as if the local
serial driver is ignoring XON/XOFF, and is passing them to the
application.

> Later Wyse terminals were not too bad at speed ... I've had my Wyse 160
> running reliably at 57kbaud without problems, but I've always used some
> sort of flow control.

Hm.... I might be able to get ahold of some old Wyse terminals that
$county is phasing[1] out.

[1] They're phasing out Wyse terminals on 19.2k dialup modems and
    replacing them with PCs running Windows and a custom telnet app.  No
    amount of screaming and jumping around could convince them that this
    was a reliability step -backwards-.  Never mind that Suzie Secretary
    can't waste time with AIM and Solitaire on a terminal.

--
Jonathan Patschke
   > Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
   Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
                                 --Saul Tannenbaum (in the Monastery)