[rescue] More Terminal & SGI Fun

Mike Meredith hmv at meredithm.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 12:15:19 CDT 2002

On Monday 16 September 2002 8:45 am, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>      Is it folly to think that I might be able to run the terminal at
> a line speed of 38.4 kilobaud reliably?

Sure a VT420 works reliably at 38.4kbaud ... I used one for years
connected to a terminal server like that. Can't help with the wiring
problem, but I'd stick to using ttyd[12] for a terminal.

Is XON flow control not working at all ? Check the stty settings ... my
SGI turns it off by default. You can turn it on with 'stty ixon'.

> Are later DEC terminals,
> such as the VT525 more capable in this regard?  If DEC made no
> terminals that could behave reliably at 38.4 kilobaud, who did?

Later Wyse terminals were not too bad at speed ... I've had my Wyse 160
running reliably at 57kbaud without problems, but I've always used some
sort of flow control.