[rescue] Now what? (dtterm division)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Sep 15 12:35:35 CDT 2002

"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> writes ...

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

>> intr = ^?; quit = ^\; erase = ^h; kill = @;
>
>intr = ^?   ???  That should be ^C, unless you like having delete mapped
>to nterrrupt.  kill = @ is weird, too--it's ^U here.

Yeah, I would think that any non-control character would be a bit weird
there, too!

>eol and switch are both ^@ here, but this is an SGI, so there's no
>surprise if that is a bit weird.

I haven't run the same comparison with my "newsed" Indigo2; it's more fun to
sit at then to X into.

>start = ^Q and stop = ^S on every machine I've ever met, but unless you
>actually use these features, it's probably a good idea to leave them
>undefined, as I haver a bad habit of hitting ^S instead of ^A to switch
>screens.

Yeah.  I set the Xterms up with scrollbars, so there's hardly any need, and
I'm on a LAN with that machine, so Xon/Xoff requires very fast fingers.

>^R ^O ^W and ^V here, respectively.  You really want lnext = ^V if you
>do a lot of work from the the shell.

Thanks.

>Who set this up for you?  This can't be the default as it ships from
>$vendor, can it[1]?

<effect accent='EnglishShopClerk' comesfrom='FlandersAndSwann'>
Who made this circuit up for you anyway? Bought it in a shop? What a
horrible shoddy job they fobbed you off with with. Surprised they let you
have it in this room, anyway, the acoustics are all wrong. If you raise the
ceiling four feet, put the fireplace from that wall to that wall, you'll
still only get the stereophonic effect if you sit in the bottom of that
cupboard. I see you've got your negative feedback coupled in to your
push-pull input-output. Take that across though your headed pickup to your
tweeter, if you're modding more than eight you'll get wow on your top. Try
to bring that through your preamp rumble filter to your woofer - what'll you
get - flutter on your bottom.
</effect>

Yeah, it seems to be the default shipped from Sun on Solaris 7.  Oddly
enough, if I telnet in, I get a different bunch of key settings.

>[1] I must admit total ignorance WRT dtterm, as it is utter crap com-
>    pared to xterm and not even in the same galaxy as rxvt, IMO.  But
>    then, I feel that way about all of CDE; I'd take twm (or OpenLook,
>    if it were still an option on Solaris) over CDE -any- day.

I use dtterm even under OpenLook (olwm) because it's easier for me to do
copy/paste operations.

I don't use CDE (dtwm) much; it's prettier, but (a) it takes much longer to
start than olwm and (b) it seems to hose itself at the least provocation.

Thanks a ton.

-Shel
--
Sheldon T. Hall