[rescue] anyone ever used 100 VG ?

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Sat Sep 14 03:50:27 CDT 2002

On 14 Sep 2002 jwbirdsa at picarefy.com wrote:

>    Last time I looked, none of the BSDs had support for any HP Ethernet
> cards, let alone something as exotic as 100VG. As far as I know, the
> thing that was superior about 100VG was that it could run on voice
> grade (hence the VG) cable instead of requiring Cat5.

Nah, the cabling was of no issue (most twisted pait sold today is VG
anyway, i.e no shielding). The thing about the VG approach was that it did
not have collisions, the hub itself was smarter than a normal 10/100Bt
hub, since it had to deal with a bit of tokenizing protocol. So that is
why the 100VG looks a bit like FDDI, both are token based protocols so
they allow for a higher utilization factor than collision based protocols.