[rescue] They're back! -> They're gone! -> They're CueCats!

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Sep 12 12:38:26 CDT 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:11:59 -0400 (EDT)
nick at snowman.net wrote:

> Ok, I've been looking for something like that, what's a good freeware
> or reasonably priced book inventory software that will take cuecat
> scans?
> 	Nick
It is a wedge scanner, hooks between your keyboard and PC (PS/2) scanned
text is handled like any other keyboard input.  IIRC there were several
versions, which need to be declawed differently.  I had one hooked up
for a while, scanned some food cans, which weren't in their online
database, and entered totally bogus info about them.  Figured if they
were going to keep this monster database about everything I scanned I
could at least poison the data.  I have thought about the book
collection, but I have several thousand books, at least half of which
predate barcodes.  I did think about computer cable inventory, but then
I looked into the price of decent wire labels.  Besides, you can buy a
"real" bar code scanner for <$50 if you look around, I doubt the cuecat
would last long under regular use, I have seen better circuit boards on
stuff in McDonalds happy meals.

Tim