[rescue] Re: Oh my lord (Sun A5000) -> Carrier Should be Criminal Fraud

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Thu Sep 12 02:02:57 CDT 2002

Chad Fernandez wrote:

> Eric Dittman wrote:
> > The UPS dropoff in Richardson at Campbell just east of Central*
> > will make you open boxes for packing inspection if you list any
> > type of computer equipment.  They cover themselves this way.  If
> > you list computer equipment they can reject the package if it's
> > not packed securely.  If you write something else to get around
> > the requirement they can reject the damage claim for false
> > information.
> >
> > *Les is local, so he knows the area.

I use UPS' internet shipping, so when I go to drop off a package it's
already labeled (with a UPS label), and paid for. so the local UPS folks
just take the package from me without opening it, or anything (they never
even ask what it is)

> There is a certain lady at my local UPS depot that gives me a hard time
> about computers.  She hasn't opened anything yet, but she always want to
> know exactly how I packed it, and then acts as if she is doing me a
> favor for letting me ship it.  She tells me that it is UPS policy to
> only ship computers in there original box.  I don't believe that for a
> second, although, it may be her policy.  Lately I've been going to Fedex
> anyway.  They're cheaper and more on my way to work.

I do believe that the policy of only taking computers in their original box
is a long standing rule at UPS, but one that they never follow, I suspect
that they only have it so they can reject any insurance claims. I've had
almost as bad lock with fedex as I have with UPS. I think that lots of
folks are under the impression that fedex is SO much better than UPS, but
actually they're the same crap. Don't forget, if you compare the
'traditional' fedex to UPS, it's got to be UPS' overnight service, which is
fairly good.

--
-Mike