[rescue] IRIX/SGI opinions of O2 for graphics?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Sep 10 17:43:22 CDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 03:22:47PM -0700, vraptor at employees.org wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
> >I disagree.  I find my O2 incredibly useful, using a combo of Irix
> >and pre-compiled binaries form freeware.sgi.com.  Nothing specialized
> >about the software - Irix contains a bunch of base software that make
> >for a nice little workstation.  It's not a speed demon, as you mention
> >it was never meant to be.  However, it is rock-solid and very
> >responsive - IMO, YMMV, etc.
> >
> >It's also soooo cuuuute!
>
> Not as cute as a dual processor G4 with an iPod attached.
> Now if it was a nice shade of purple...there'd be still
> no contest. ;-)

Hardware-wise, I'd die for an SGI Fuel.  Or Onyx2, but I was trying to
be more realistic.

But then, Objective-C and the OpenStep API are so sexy.

If only GNU GCC worked better on Irix and Gnustep were further along.
Then I'd be in heaven.  A Fuel (or Onyx2) with all the programming
sweetness of a Mac.

--
Joshua D. Boyd