[rescue] IRIX/SGI opinions of O2 for graphics?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Sep 10 10:18:59 CDT 2002

Gary Nichols <gary at linuxforce.org> wrote:

> I see - so if I had a SGI 320 workstation (which I do - see previous
> message about me buying cheap $hit from idiot seller), then linux would be
> a good alternative?

I think SGI put Linux on those at one time, or currently supports Linux on them, or something.  Nick?  IMO, it would be an excellent alternative to Windows - like that's a leap of faith or something...

> I think I should spend some time educating myself on SGI gear since it's
> getting cheap and coworkers are asking about it.  (They assume that since
> I'm a Sun guy, that I understand SGI too!)
>
> Time to dust off the O2 and the 320 and do some experiments.
>
> Anyone here have a 320?  Experiences?

If I found a cheap 320 I'd be very inclined to buy it.  However, my list of "wants" is very long, and there are other items in front of it - as if I *really* needed another graphics workstation around my house...

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com