[rescue] IRIX/SGI opinions of O2 for graphics?

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Mon Sep 9 17:33:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

>AFAIK, linux will only run on an Indy (and that is a stretch from what I
>have heard).

Hmmm...SO knows the QA/C engineer that is pretty well the "on-call" guy
for ILM.  (I don't envy the guy his job.)  He has a doco that gives the
low-down on installing Linux on the O^2.

>Photoshop was available for Irix, but it required a license from adobe
>(I assume FlexLM) which was specific to the machine and they are no
>longer issuing them, so you have to find a machine with photoshop and a
>license already installed.
>
>I would think the G3 would be faster than an O2 at photoshop anyways.
>
>You would be much better off with Gimp, which SGI offers on the freeware
>site.

Well, all said, this makes me more curious to install Linux. :-)  I
already have Photoshop, et al, for the Mac, and it sounds like
tracking it down for IRIX is a lot more problematic.

Thanks for the info, and I'll let you know what happens with Linux
if you are interested.

=Nadine=